Monday, June 4, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend on SSI

My Memorial Day weekend was spent on St. Simons Island with my daddy and brother.  I have been off with the 2 of them plenty of times but this weekend I was hoping to take a friend just to have another girl in the bunch. All of my friends had plans, of course, so it ended up being just the 3 of us.  After thinking about it, I was kind-of glad it turned out that way b/c this was the first time we were able to leave town since daddy was diagnosed with cancer.  He has had a rough few months between chemo and surgery.  He dealt with it like a champ though and I was so glad he felt up to the trip. 
Saint Simons is very dear to our hearts.  My daddy grew up going on vacation there, his parents lived there for a short period of time,  they would rent a house there during the summers, and he lived in nearby Brunswick in his 20's.  My brother and I have grown up going to SS and even though there isn't much to it, we love the atmosphere and the food!
Friday we arrived just in time to order dinner from our favorite restaurant, The Crab Trap.  It was so busy and crowed and it was nice to scoop it up and take it home.  Their food NEVER disappoints and we had some great conversations.

On our walk to pick up dinner, Cody and I walked across the street to see the ocean.  It was such a pretty time of day!

THE best restaurant ever!


Before and After. HAHA!

Saturday, we slept late and went to eat at one of our favorites for brunch, The Sandcastle.  It's located in the village.  There was an antiques show being held there and I decided to stroll through to see if I could find any cheap treasures.  I did luck out.  I bought a vanity perfume tray, old bottles, and some fish prints for my dad for father's day.  He has been looking for something to go above the television and I thought those would be perfect.  Later that afternoon we headed to Gouels Inlet to sit on the beach.  The tide was way out but it was still nice to actually be at the beach! It was kind of cool with the wind blowing.  The weather was perfect!

Beachin' it!

I hope to paddle board soon!
I LOVE the beach!

 
                                                                           

Saturday night, we went over to the Red Fern Village to eat dinner at Blackwater Grill.  It was packed so we sat at the bar.  This restaurant has been featured on Diners, Drive-in's, and Dives on the Food Network.  I had a salad, crab cakes, and mashed potatoes.  Daddy had a warm steak salad and Cody had a shrimp pasta.  It was all so delicious! We will defiantly be going back there!




That night, Cody and I had planned to hit a few bars in the Village but were were SO full from dinner we just didn't feel up to it.  Instead, we walked around and went out onto the pier.  We rode around the island and went back home early.
Sunday, we planned to spend all day at the beach but it was very overcast.  Instead we slept in (surprise) and had leftovers from the previous nights for lunch.  That afternoon, Cody wanted to climb the lighthouse.  We had not done that in years and it turned out to be a nice activity. A few months ago, daddy couldn't climb the 18 stairs in our house and that day he climbed all 129 of the lighthouse! We were so proud!


 About to head up!

 Family picture!

My favorite picture of the weekend!

After our "workout", lol, Cody and I decided to go to the new pool at the Village.  It is so big and nice.  We didn't stay long because it was cool from being so overcast.  We then got showers and headed back to our favorite restaurant, The Crab Trap to enjoy one last dinner before going home the next morning.  I had fried shrimp this time and they were amazing. 


Sunday we stopped by the 4th of May when we checked out of the house.  They have awesome breakfast! My friend, Lina, had told me about the butter pecan french toast and I decided to give it a try.  OMG...it was heavenly!




After breakfast Cody and Daddy headed home and I shopped around on the island for a few hours.  It was nice not having one of them nagging at me to hurry up! Lol.  Can't wait to head back to my favorite little place on earth at the end of July!


No comments:

Post a Comment