Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pura Vida

"Pura Vida Acts 1:8".  This is what the bracelet I wear reads.  Pura Vida is a popular saying in Costa Rica that translates to "Pure Life".  Acts 1:8 says, "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
Monday, I, along with 19 other members of my church, are going to Alajuela, Costa Rica on a week long mission trip.  This will be my second time going and I'm super excited to see the kids I fell in love with last year.  My mom will be returning also. I really enjoy having this experience with her.  While there, we teach vacation bible school and do light construction.  My mom is in charge of crafts while I usually help with the story time or P.E.
It's so amazing to watch those children get so excited over playing jump rope or painting their finger nails.  I have always known that material things don't matter but on this trip, I learned material things can't make you happy either.  I am blessed beyond measure and should be grateful for the things I already have, not always wanting-wanting-wanting.  I thank God every night for the warm bed I sleep in and for providing me with 3 meals a day.  Last year, I saw the shacks that some of the kids call home and it tore me up one side and down the other.  I wanted to bring them home with me.  It got me asking myself, "Why do I deserve a home without dirt floors or indoor plumbing?  Why do I get to buy new clothes and not receive torn up hand me downs?  Why do I have a warm jacket to wear during the winter?"  I am so blessed to have this learning experience.  I enjoy sharing the word of Christ with the children, but most of all, I enjoy seeing Christ in them.

Here are a few pictures of our trip from last year.  Can't wait to update you with new ones when I return next Sunday (June 18)!

This is Keylin (Spanish for "Katie").  I fell in love with her. She was shy at first and all of a sudden "took" to me.  When you pronounce her name, it almost sounds like "Katie Lynn". :) 
Erin and me getting our nails painted. The kids loved to get their nails done!

Look at his cute glasses!

Another beautiful girl I fell in love with.

Making crafts in bible school.

Mama helping the children with crafts during VBS.

Wearing the dresses a lady in our church made.  They were so proud!

Last day.  Saying my goodbye's to sweet Daniel.


Check back in a few weeks for pictures from this years trip! Please keep us in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment